Wednesday 7 August 2013

Stuff Your Comments!



We are humans and so we have got a brain that works. Yes, it thinks and ponders whenever we read something, listen to something or talk with someone. Quite interesting, isn’t it? Whenever we read something, knowingly or unknowingly, our brain does go into a trance to understand the concept behind the written piece and its implications. We would also like to discuss our thoughts on that piece with the author and other readers if possible. I am all for it, and I believe others will agree with me too.

So what’s the problem?

The problem arises when a certain section of bloggers who don’t want to receive their readers' opinions. Well, I can’t say outright that they don’t want any comments but their actions do imply something to that effect. 




Who are these bloggers and how do they react to readers’ comments? Based on my observation, I divided this section of bloggers into two categories: Type A and Type B. (Please note that these categories have got nothing to do with Meyer Friedman and Ray Rosenman.) Let’s discuss these bloggers in detail.

Type A: This type of bloggers will write, write and write. They will keep on updating their blogs without engaging with their readers. For them, acknowledging their readers’ comments is demeaning and lowering. So even if there are 100s of comments on their thought-provoking post, they won’t respond to a single reader just because readers are third-class citizens and writers are first-class citizens. And my dear readers, different classes don’t mingle with each other in India. Mind it.

Type B: The bloggers falling under this category are quite generous. They love receiving comments on their blogs; but please don’t get over excited because they like only those comments that praise them and agree with them. If you dare to say that you don’t agree with them, no matter how politely, be ready to get humiliated and scorned. Believe me if type B blogger writes a post on his political/philosophical views and if you dare to disagree with him/her, all hell will break loose. Literally. No matter how calmly you try to explain your POV, the blogger will get personal to attack you left, right and center. And I am not kidding. Been there, suffered there. Thank you very much.

Now you must be thinking that apart from this section, there are other bloggers too who are friendly, who like to engage with their readers and so on and so forth. Yes, I do agree. In fact, I follow them religiously. However, I am not going to discuss them over here because I am all praises for them.

If you have any opinion on these two categories, please feel free to comment. I love to receive comments as well as engage with my readers. Seriously.

 Photo Courtesy: commons.wikimedia.org

35 comments:

  1. Grrrr yes you are right but I am glad I have mostly interacted with Type C.

    My questions...Why not reply?? And if you do, then why not accept different views? And even if you don't agree with anyone's POV why can't you be polite, Why be stubborn???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Type C?! LOL. Anyway I think nowadays it's too much of work to be polite :)

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha. Our interactions on various platforms are leading to new blog posts. Good to get ideas from wherever we can.
    Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.
    This is the key to peace of mind, at least to mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. But sometimes I do lose my temper over it. Alas, writers are supposed to be enlightened souls, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Hey, my comment vanished. I hope it is only in the holding cell of moderation and not dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes Madhu, your comment is very alive and breathing. :)

      Delete
  4. Hii

    Nice post! there is another category as well..of the bloggers who respond only to positive comments. They will not even publish the comment that criticizes their post (even logically).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes AS, I can understand it. I think if we consider it broadly, we can include them in Type B, can't we?

      Delete
  5. ya we can, it can be a sub category rather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. And I think if we start categorizing each and every type of bloggers, we can at least get 15 types :P

      In this post, I just wanted to cover the rude ones. :)

      Delete
  6. Blogger categorization based on comment response. Interesting dear.

    cheers,
    Janaki
    http://crazysketchbook.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thats a techtonic shift in your views. Appreciate it :)

      Delete
    2. As regards to commenting I would refer you to following links
      1. http://slymarketing.com/comments/
      and
      2. http://allstuffcodes.info/2013/07/are-you-a-commenting-flop-star.html

      Delete
    3. Vijay, how there is a techtonic shift in my views? Also, why are you referring me those links?

      Delete
    4. Have you read the two article I have given here

      Delete
    5. VP, I browsed through them.

      Delete
  7. Hahahaa..Type A and Type B...Lol I just can't stop loving and I wonder who are those stupid Bloggers who don't even bother to reply to their readers comment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harsha, I too found it amusing after I got over my mad :) Had I wanted WW III, I would have linked their blogs too as an example ;) :P

      Delete
  8. Shouldn't Type B also include certain others who also delete some comments that do not agree with them.
    Also you cannot always put all bloggers into these Type A and Type B baskets. It may differ on case to case basis, rather on the topic that they've written. They may react more strongly to something that they feel strongly about and other times they may accept your opinion with an open mind or on even cast a blind eye.
    Same goes for people who comment on blogs as well.
    Just wondering if this comment will trip a wire somewhere, if you get what I mean :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I get you Shri. I have categories these bloggers on broad basis. As humans are complex beings, there can be complex categories too :) I just went with broad categories :P

      Delete
  9. well… if someone does not want a comment, i don’t see why the person does not switch off the comment section!!

    intersting classification!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aersh, I have thought the same thing. God knows what's running in their minds.

      Delete
  10. You made me sad Pankti... I too don't reply in my blog because I take it for granted that my reader won't have time to get back to read that, so if there's a question I reply it in their blog... don't know what's right and what's wrong :(
    BTW I hope now the engine is cooled ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS, as a reader, if I am taking pains to comment, I would also take pains to see if the author read my comment. Anyway, that's my views. To each its own :)

      Delete
    2. I understood my indifference and started replying to my precious readers right from today ;-)

      Delete
  11. Hi ! Read your blog after a very long time but unfortunately I found this post of yours more interesting than the latest ones ;) Reading this article was amusing :D No, seriously, I was imagining my own moments when I got the first hand humiliation experience at the hands of both types of bloggers :( I hope they read this post of yours and their world comes crashing down! Oh wait! Why would they read a post of third class citizen!! LOL! Way to go pankti ! <3 this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I know what you are talking about. Of course this post stems from my suffering from this two types of bloggers :D

      BTW, I know I write fiction more than musings and I can understand that you might not find it interesting as everybody has different reading taste. So it's okay :)

      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  12. [ Laughs ] I enjoy reading all comment whether they are in my favour or not.

    Comments are important, because it is one vital method of getting feedback from our readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But how many actually think that way? :)

      Delete
    2. [ Smiles ] Now, that is a very good question. I would want to believe that the majority of them do.

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Otherwise I wouldn't have needed to rant like this over here :) This post is all about 1st hand experience in blog-o-sphere.

      Delete
  13. heh! I think there are sub-types.. but the 2 broad categories are as you described. I'm losing interest in the whole blogging thing. I think it is distracting me from the main goal... writing stories I really want to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can get disillusioned but we need to get over it. Alas, the blog is your practice book for writing beautiful stories, isn't it?

      Delete